Getting my handyman on

Alright, I’ll confess, me and handyman are two words that are just never used in the same sentence. In fact, I’d go so far as to say were I to mention I’d fixed something in conversation people might look at me strangely and say “you?”

My first such attempt was in 2013 when my toilet cistern had started to overflow and leak on to the bathroom floor, it was most annoying. At the time I was rather ill, my diabetes decided to take a turn for the worse just a week beforehand and I was still very much recovering. Despite this I decided to replace the cistern myself, a friend had said it was an easy job to do, swap-out swap-in job; how wrong she ended up being. The difference in mounts between the old cistern and the new meant I was going to have to drill a new screw location, and through tiles no less.

I had not touched a drill at this time for almost 30 years, and certainly never through tiles. Thankfully I watched a LOT of lifestyle programs, thus I was aware I needed to use masking tape to roughen the surface – it worked a treat. Even though it took me four hours to achieve swapping of the cisterns, mostly due to my having to rest long periods, I was chuffed with myself for having achieve it.

Just last week my bathroom basin taps decided to drip, the speed increasing day-by-day to the point I had to get on with doing something about it. My flatmate had done her own basin taps, several times but with negligible success. Before progressing with my second handyman effort I hit YouTube to check how it was done, watching a few videos. Despite the videos, the actual process ended up being slightly different for me.

Removal of the taps was of course standard as per video, however unlike the YouTube videos the damned washer stayed inside the cavity. Try as I may, nothing I had in the house could extract that damned washer/valve from its hold; I was forced to return to Bunnings and purchase pliers. Pliers in-hand I FINALLY managed to extract the valve from its hold, it was little wonder the cold water tap was causing a leak, the washer was near gone. Repeated the process on the hot water tap and reinstalled all tap wear before heading outside and restoring water to the house, nervously.

SUCCESS! OMG! I was absolutely stoked! No drips and taps now turned off far more easily than they had done previously. Handyman effort #2 was a success. I don’t think you’ll be paying me for this anytime soon, but at least I’ve got a 100% success rate so far haha 🙂

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s